Medical School bulletins, catalogs, and yearbooks are the sources of biographical information for medical physicians, dentists and public health professionals that graduated from Tulane University. These materials are available in print and the Matas Library and also in University Archives. The "annual bulletins" list graduates for that academic year. Additional materials in the Matas Historical Collections are graduation announcements, composites and other publications relating to the academic program. There is a card file of Matriculates based upon the Medical School bulletins with name and year. Generally the searches of the print resources are hand searched by the Matas Library Staff.
University Archives and the Matas Library have ongoing scanning projects. Here are some of the resources available online:
Tulane University School of Medicine was founded in 1834 as the Medical College of Louisiana, in 1847 the Medical College of Louisiana became the Department of Medicine of the University of Louisiana. it has been called Tulane University since 1884.
Medical College of New Orleans was granted a charter in 1835, however it failed to materialize.
New Orleans School of Medicine was founded in 1856 and closed in 1870.
Charity Hospital Medical College was organized in 1873 and extinct since 1877.
New Orleans University in 1889 opened a medical department for blacks, in 1901 it was renamed the Flint Medical College. The College closed in 1911.
Medical Department of Straight University, also for blacks, was listed in The Medical and Surgical Directory of the United States, R. L. Polk, & Co, 1886. There was not any history of the University listed
Shreveport Charity Hospital (1876), the hospital was renamed Confederate Memorial Medical Center (CMMC).
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in New Orleans was established in 1931.
Louisiana State University School of Medicine in Shreveport (1965) was established and became affiliated with the CMMC. CMMC was renamed Louisiana State University Medical Center Hospital and in 1999, the entire complex was renamed Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center.
New Orleans School of Medicine was a competing medical school from 1856-1870. Dr. Erasmus Fenner was the Dean and the school used the Charity Hospital of Louisiana. Tulane does not have the records for the New Orleans School of Medicine. Various announcements and lists of graduates were published in newspapers of the day.
We do have some names in a card file for matriculates of the New Orleans School of Medicine (1857-60, 1867, 1869).
Examples of Annual circulars circa 1858-1860 from the Matas history collection:
Names of people licensed in New Orleans
For additional information consult: Duffy, John. (1958) The Regulation of Medicine and Pharmacy in Louisiana, In The Rudolph Matas History of Medicine in Louisiana, Baton Rouge : Louisiana State University Press, v.II., p. 103-121.
Transactions of the Louisiana State Medical Society, v.15 (1894)