Dr. Edmond Souchon, (1841-1924)
Matas Photograph Collection, no.2510b
Chairman, Department of Anatomy, 1885 - 1907
Dr. Souchon was the last professor in the medical school to hold the dual chair of both anatomy and clinical surgery. A staunch advocate of high educational standards, Souchon was known as a "first-rate" and "exacting" teacher. In addition, he helped design and supervised construction of both the old Hutchinson (Canal Street) and Richardson (Uptown) buildings for Tulane.
A man of many talents, Dr. Souchon's influence on medicine reached beyond Tulane's medical school. He was strong advocate of free health care for the poor. He designed surgical instruments and was famed for his anatomical preparations. As president of the Louisiana State Board of Health, Souchon was responsible for codifying the state's sanitary laws and developing standardized quarantine laws in the southern United States.